TACKERS sailing program for children
TACKERS is a structured training program to get kids involved in sailing. The program is based around games and fun, both on and off the water. The formal TACKERS sailing program is for children 7-12 years of age. At our club we run both formal TACKERS training programs and ongoing social based TACKERS activities.
Williamstown Sailing Club is a registered TACKERS Training Centre, which means we follow the guidelines and programs set by Yachting Australia Inc.
For the 2017-18 season we will have three qualified TACKERS instructors and two assistant instructors. These young adults and teenagers are all club members who started sailing at the club when they were about 12, and have come up through our traditional Learn to Sail programs and all are experienced race competitors. Having undertaken a variety of external training courses, they are now qualified to run or assist in our TACKERS programs.
Kids don’t have to have any sailing experience or be a club member to participate. All the equipment, including boats and life jackets are provided.
September 2017 program
Bookings are now open for TACKERS programs being run the first week of the September school holidays. Each program will run for 5 days, 4 hours per day.
- TACKERS 1: 25-29 September 2017, 4 hour session daily (8.30am – 12.30pm)
- TACKERS 2: 25-29 September 2017, 4 hour session daily (1pm – 5pm)
Programs will require a minimum number of participants to run.
- WSC members $250 per course ($20 discount for sibling)
- Non-members $300 per course ($20 discount for sibling)
For those lucky kids who are already Williamstown Sailing Club members, we are running the free Saturday morning TACKERS fleet sessions from 10am – 12pm, during the sailing season.
This is an opportunity to practice skills learnt in TACKERS programs, play games, have some fun and do some exercise in a friendly environment. Club members under 7 are allowed to join in these activities. Parents must stay on site during these sessions. We will be introducing some racing activities for those interested. Also, for non-club members we do allow kids to have a try at sailing to see if they would like to do one of the TACKERS training programs.
Name the Optis!
Our wonderful Ozi-Optis have been nameless for too long! We’re calling all Junior members to send in their suggestions of boat names. Find out more here.
TACKERS working bee – Saturday 16 Sept
A TACKERS working bee will be held on Saturday 16 September at 10am. Find out more here.
TACKERS fleet is back
- TACKERS and Junior sailors are encouraged to join the celebrations on the WSC Opening Day on Saturday 7 October and participate in the traditional sail past. Keep an eye out for further details of this fun day.
- Saturday morning TACKERS Fleet sailing will be back from 14 October, running from 10-12 as we did last season. This season will see the extension of our Saturday morning program to provide an opportunity for the more confident junior sailors to improve their skills and maybe even take on their friends in some short races. A parent briefing will be held on that first day, so the more TACKERS families we can get down on that first day the better.
If you have any enquiries regards TACKERS courses please call in to the club on a Saturday morning and talk to the TACKERS team.
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org, including your phone number and our TACKERS Co-ordinator will call you.